Circa 1860s steamboat, ‘Louisville’

screen-shot-2016-09-28-at-11-58-02-am

7.5″ x 9″ albumen print mounted on larger stock in a period 12.75″ x 14.7″ frame. Image is of the Louisville, a small stern-wheel steamboat owned by the K & S Company. Imprint on verso for Geo. Gesell, Alma, Wis.

Cowan’s Auction

Advertisements

Steamboat ‘Jacob Strader’ – U.S. mail packet, also used to ferry soldiers around Louisville

Jacob Strader, Esq. (1795-1860) was a steamboat owner, banker (Cist names him as President and solicitor of the Commercial Bank in 1851), lawyer and President of the Little Miami Railroad. He sat on the Board of Trustees of the Cincinnati Medical College.

The steamboat “Jacob Strader,” was launched in Cincinnati in 1853 and named for this prominent citizen. Built for the U.S. Mail Line, the sidewheeler ran a regular Cincinnati to Louisville packet route. During the Civil War, she carried supplies to Union troops for the U.S. Sanitary Commission, as well as carrying wounded and sick soldiers.

screen-shot-2016-09-28-at-12-07-32-pm

743px-jacobstrader005a-33

Howard Ship Yards – Jeffersonville, Indiana

The Howard Ship Yards in Jeffersonville, just across the Ohio River from Louisville built 17 boats during the Civil War. Fourteen were packet boats, two were ferries, and one was a wharf boat.

Records show that D. & J. Howard built these boats starting in 1861:

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 11.15.02 AM.png

Records also show that James Howard & Co built these boats:

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 11.15.42 AM.png

Excerpt from a web site:

The Howard shipyard was started in 1834 by James Howard, an Englishman trained in shipbuilding at William Hartshorn’s shipyard in Cincinnati.  In 1836, he moved his operation to Madison IN, before returning to Jeffersonville in 1848, when he was joined in the business by his brother Daniel.  In 1865, when more Howards joined the firm, it was incorporated as James Howard & Co.: then, when James Howard died in 1876, control passed to his son Edmonds and the name was changed to E. J. Howard & Co.  Finally, in 1903, it became Howard Shipyard & Dock Co.  The shipyard struggled in the depression years and closed in 1940.  In 1942, however, the Navy, needing to expand the capacity of neighboring JeffBoat, took over the property and leased it to JeffBoat: the two yards operated as one throughout the war and in 1947 JeffBoat’s owners, American Barge Line, bought Howard from the Navy and formally merged it with JeffBoat.

Old_Howard_Mansion.jpg

Baird, Lewis C. – Baird’s History of Clark County, Indiana, Indianapolis, Ind.: B.F. Bowen, 1909, page 464

See also: The University of Louisville Digital Archives on the Howard Steamboat Museum Collection