Fletcher & Bennet had a store at 421 Main St., in Louisville. They sold line swords, staff swords, presentation swords, sashes, peasants, belts, and other equipment. This ad was in the December 16, 1862 Louisville Daily Journal.
Samuel Baker had a shop at 609 Main Street in Louisville in 1862, selling saddlery, harnesses, trunks, etc. This ad was in the December 13, 1862 newspaper.
Civil War Officer Sword m1850 made by Cross & Co Louisville, KY. Cross & Co were retailers of military goods circa 1864. This sword has a cast brass handle and guard, handle is wrapped in shark’s skin, wire wrap is missing. Blade is marked near handle with “Cross & Co” and “T”. There is etching on the blade of fancy scroll designs, “US”, and an American flag.
This ad is from the December 2, 1862, The Louisville Daily Journal. It was located on the same spot of today’s LG&E & KU Energy, just north of The Old Spaghetti Factory.
John M. Stokes & Son sold swords, belts, sashes, pistols, cots, mattresses, mess-chests, Indian-rubber goods, etc. This military goods store was located in 1862 at 229 Main Street. An 1859 Louisville newspaper shows he also had a furniture store at 539 Main Street and 59 Third Street.
Here is an example of an officer’s sash made during the Civil War. This one belonged to Confederate General John Bell Hood.
This ad was in the December 2, 1862 The Louisville Daily Journal Newspaper. It is for a military goods store at 217 Third Street. Th proprietor – C.Proal – sold saddlery, harnesses, trunks, swords, Bowie knives, pistols, camp furniture, smoking pipes, etc.
The Kentucky International Convention Center assumes the place of the store today, just south of The Old Spaghetti Factory. Prowl’s store was barely one block south of Stoke’s military goods store.
This Civil War era manufactured saddle was on display in the Frazier History Museum a few years ago.