The Howard Ship Yards in Jeffersonville, just across the Ohio River from Louisville built 17 boats during the Civil War. Fourteen were packet boats, two were ferries, and one was a wharf boat.
Records show that D. & J. Howard built these boats starting in 1861:
Records also show that James Howard & Co built these boats:
Excerpt from a web site:
The Howard shipyard was started in 1834 by James Howard, an Englishman trained in shipbuilding at William Hartshorn’s shipyard in Cincinnati. In 1836, he moved his operation to Madison IN, before returning to Jeffersonville in 1848, when he was joined in the business by his brother Daniel. In 1865, when more Howards joined the firm, it was incorporated as James Howard & Co.: then, when James Howard died in 1876, control passed to his son Edmonds and the name was changed to E. J. Howard & Co. Finally, in 1903, it became Howard Shipyard & Dock Co. The shipyard struggled in the depression years and closed in 1940. In 1942, however, the Navy, needing to expand the capacity of neighboring JeffBoat, took over the property and leased it to JeffBoat: the two yards operated as one throughout the war and in 1947 JeffBoat’s owners, American Barge Line, bought Howard from the Navy and formally merged it with JeffBoat.
Baird’s History of Clark County, Indiana, Indianapolis, Ind.: B.F. Bowen, 1909, page 464–
See also: The University of Louisville Digital Archives on the Howard Steamboat Museum Collection