This ad is from the December 2, 1862, The Louisville Daily Journal. It was located on the same spot of today’s LG&E & KU Energy, just north of The Old Spaghetti Factory.
John M. Stokes & Son sold swords, belts, sashes, pistols, cots, mattresses, mess-chests, Indian-rubber goods, etc. This military goods store was located in 1862 at 229 Main Street. An 1859 Louisville newspaper shows he also had a furniture store at 539 Main Street and 59 Third Street.
Here is an example of an officer’s sash made during the Civil War. This one belonged to Confederate General John Bell Hood.