Originally this was site of the old Industrial School of Reform and House of Refuge, established 1860. During Civil War, institution used by Union troops as barracks and parade grounds. The property, with several original buildings, taken over by Univ. of Louisville in 1923 and called the University campus. Renamed in 1927 in honor of benefactor William R. Belknap.
1875 House of Refuge. University of Louisville Photographic Archives
circa 1904. House of Refuge (Industrial School of Reform) Bldg. built in 1866. Later purchased by U of L and demolished. University of Louisville Photographic Archives