Nashville had 20-25 military hospital hospitals operating at any given time during the Civil War. At peak capacity, Nashville hospitals had roughly 14,000 men being treated, including hundreds of Confederates, even during the Union occupation that began in February 1862.
Nashville was the second largest military hospital network devoted to Union-use. Only Philadelphia had a larger military hospital system. As large as the Nashville military hospital system was, it could still could handle the amount of casualties that strained her capacity.
Thousands of wounded and sick Union soldiers were initially treated in a Nashville hospital and then routed to Evansville, Louisville or Jeffersonville for care in their respective hospitals. Many Union casualties from the Franklin-Nashville campaign were taken to Louisville for medical care.
One such Louisville hospital was #8, which later became known as the Monsarrat School (below at 784 S. 5th St.). The U.S. wagon and harness shops were nearby.
Hospital #8 in Louisville, later known as Monsarrat School.
Text from the historical marker on site:
The Fifth Ward School was built in 1857 on the site of a former school which burned in 1854. The Italian Renaissance Revival styled school was designed by Isaiah Rogers and Henry Whitestone. The building features 9-foot arched windows to allow maximum light into the classrooms.
During the Civil War the building was used by the Union Army as a hospital. After the Civil War the boundaries within Louisville were changed the the school became known as the Seventh Ward School.